Bulverde Community Center

Founded In 1950 To Serve The Community

October 28, 2016


  • (830) 438-2439

Physical address

  • 1747 Ammann Rd E,
    Bulverde TX 78163

Mailing address

  • PO Box 76,
    Bulverde, TX 78163-0076
    (Send all mail to this address)

Website Info

Site Design

Donated by: Clay Meyers


The Bulverde Community Center, owned by its members, provides the community with a place for social events, such as weddings, family reunions, group meetings, and other civic activities.


On January 26, 1950 a meeting was held by the Grange, a nationwide organization formed for the betterment of agriculture and rural communities, to discuss Oscar Schmidt's vision of a community center for social events. His idea was heartily approved. A few San Antonio businessmen, who became residents of the community, offered their advice, services, business know-how, and much needed financial aid. Among these were L.E. Travis, Marshall Lasswell, Lynn Allen, Dr. Gus Pagenstecker, and Ned Wells. L. E. Travis was elected the first president of the organization, while others, along with their wives, served as directors or officers. The Grange purchased and donated a total of 6.3 acres of land just west of the Rural High School (now Rahe Elementary) fronting on Amman Road. Reinhold Leismann & Son of Blanco were chosen as the building contractor. Ground breaking began in July of 1951 and, with the help of the people of the community, was completed in October of 1951.

A cafeteria was added in February of 1952 upon the request of the School Board. The school equipped the cafeteria with a refrigerator, deep freeze, electric stove, hot water heater, and a three-compartment stainless steel sink. Mrs. Charles Staudt served hot meals to the school for 31 cents a plate. An outside kitchen was built in 1957 and enclosed in 1966.

On December 31, 1951 the first dance was held at the hall. Music was provided by Herbert Laubach and the Rhythm Pals. Dances were held monthly following the first Valentine's Day Dance in February, 1952. The dances continued for 29 years, fulfilling a social need for local residents and people from surrounding areas.

A dedication ceremony and barbecue was held on May 11, 1952. An Annual Spring Festival and Fundraiser is held in late April or early May to commemorate this event. The proceeds are used for upkeep of the building.

Our Mission

The Bulverde Community Center serves the community by being available for weddings, anniversaries, reunions, retirement parties, office parties, meetings, classes, and lots more.